Sunday, March 9, 2008

Playmate Quilt in Redwork


















Last night I finished Block #4 in the "Playmates Quilt" designed by American Jane. I'm hand embroidering the redwork. All twelve blocks are children playing based on an early reader primer from 1934 and Ruth Caroline Eger's illustrations in those books. There are 2" and 4" pinwheels and an occasional appliqued circle that work as sashing in between all the blocks. I've been collecting 30's repros in red for about two years. The blocks remind me of the primer I learned to read in, and of a time when children's toys were simple and running and playing were the norm. The whole quilt can be viewed at:
http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=AJP122#

5 comments:

sophie said...

Your embroidery is perfect. I have had a set of redwork squares for a while and recently thought to use the Disappearing 9-patch as a setting for them. That setting with the pinwheels is incredible . . . and making me think my redwork squares deserve something more interesting like that.

TX Blu Sky said...

Thanks for the compliment, Sophie! I have 8 blocks to go, and it's taken me 2 years to get this far. It will be a centenniel quilt of the 1934 book if I'm not quicker about my work!

Nancy said...

What a cute quilt, but what a LOT of pinwheels!! LOL I am hoping to find some new redwork patterns in Paducah...

Sue said...

How adorable! It brings me back to a happy time in my life; I'm sure when the quilt is complete, anyone over 40 will get a gentle reminder of days past. Beautiful redwork!

Deb said...

Your redwork is wonderful what a beautiful site. thanks for sharing