Sunday, March 9, 2008

Fractured Swap - Revisited






Here is my slice of Wendy's "Jazz Drummer". I envisioned a white background that had a purple watercolor effect painted onto it. After a fruitless effort to find a print that fit my criteria, I matched the purple with a Fossil Fern from my stash. I love the way the artist used the dark lines to draw, then filled in with bright colors. I replicated the outlines with a fusible bias, then stitched it down with a zigzag stitch. I had several ideas for the design on the drums, then chose this African print I'd purchased at the IQF in Chicago several years ago. I think that is my favorite part of this slice.

I began by using a Sharpie marker and tracing Wendy's pattern onto a sheet of upholstery vinyl. I needed the left side of my slice to match perfectly with the pattern she'd provided, and the vinyl overly was stitched onto the piece while I worked to insure that I didn't slip up on any of the pieces. It is difficult to see the overlay in the first photo. I drew a line down the left side of the quilt marking the sewing line, and matched everything from the edge of the pattern to that line. Once inside the pattern, it was ok if a piece moved a fraction of an inch.

The black drum stands aren't as difficult to see in real life as they are on the photos. I began enjoying this piece of art work more each time I got it out to work with it. The colors seemed to get richer and brighter and sometimes I think I could hear the music while I worked. This was a very enjoyable project. I loved working through the steps and the design. If you've missed the beginning of this project, go back to January in my blog and find "Fractured Chronicles".

Next up, a Geisha Girl. I am searching (once again) for the perfect Japanese inspired print to use in her kimono. I'll post it later this week. The weekend is over and back to reality!

No comments: